There are 54 states on the continent of
Africa, yet the western media, Hollywood celebrities, Producers and script
writers etc still refer to the continent as a country.
I am always disturbed by these mixup
any time I hear it listening to news, seeing a foreign movie or watching a talk
show. “In Africa”, which country? I always wonder.
Apart from western media, most world renowned
leaders are also guilty of this misinformation, for example “Bill Clinton” once
twitted (@billclinton) Just touchdown Africa with @Chelseaclinton. @clintonfdn
project …July 31, 2013.
“Donald Trump” Every penny
of the $7 billion going to Africa as per Obama will be stolen - corruption is
rampant! 1 July 2017
"Africa
is a nation that suffers from incredible disease. “former
U.S President George W. Bush, during a speech in Göteborg, Sweden on June
14, 2001.
“Going to
Africa”. Hope I don't get AIDS, Just Kidding. I'm White!' Justine Sacco PR representative of IAC.
Many western public
figures and journalist don’t have problem describing someone from Nigeria, Kenya,
Ghana or South Africa as Africans, but they probably won’t call them Americans
if they were from Brazil etc “the guardian”.
However, many first world
leaders haven't figured out that Africa isn't a country? No wonder their
general Public follow suit. Ebola, Wars, HIV, and all other negative stereotypes
does not describe African countries and her continent, there are other side to
the continent.
The boy pictured above is representing the many stereotyped African's face. The ignorant stereotype, and cliché idea of
Africa. In my Elementary school days, I learnt a rhyme which thought me about the seven continent in the world; African inclusive and the various names of the countries in each continent, same goes for every growing child to some very large extent across various countries in Africa.
I sometimes
ask myself why foreigners claim to know a lot About Africa when of a truth they
know so little about Africa, and yet act as though poverty and war is all to learn about. If only we were to defy the
stereotypes, we could create a world of equality and understanding. Just as Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie a Nigerian storyteller and novelist stated in a presentation at the TEDTalk I just watched on the danger of a single story,
"When we reject the single story, when we realize that there is never a
single story about any place, we regain a kind of paradise."
On that
note I will say Africa is more than just a stereotyped single story as perceived by foreigners but a Continent engulfed by different countries with diverse culture and tradition.
FACTS ABOUT AFRICA
Africa is
not a land filled with diseases
Africa is
not defined by poverty
Africa is a
continent made up of various countries
Africans
are not primitive or backward
African is
not a language
Africans are
not untamed and wild
African women
have fought as many battles as African men.
Africans don’t
need to be saved
Africans do
not all look alike
African leaders
are not all dictators
Africa is
not hopeless
Africa is
not a country filled with conflict and war
Swahili is
not a language spoken by all Africans
African women
are active participant in their own history
Africa existed
before colonialism
Africa is
not the only continent filled with wild animals
Not all Africans
are fast runners etc.
IGNORANT COMMENT ABOUT AFRICA BY SOME POPULAR BIG NAMES WORLD OVER








No comments:
Post a Comment